Greeting and Leave-Talking

Formal Greeting:
• Good morning (until about lunch time or before 12 am).
• Good afternoon (12-6 pm).
• Good evening (until about 9 pm).
• Good morning, Sir.

Informal Greeting:
• Hi, Lizzy!
• Morning, Jim!
• Hello.

Responding to initial greetings:
• Very well, thank you and how are you?
• I’m good/okay/alright.
• Very well, thank you.
• Oh, pretty good.
• Not to bad, thanks.
• Fine, thanks.
• Excellent.





Initial Greetings:
• How are you?
• How’s it going?
• How are you doing?
• How’s Life?

Pre-closing:
• Ok then….
• I’ve got to go now.
• So, I’ll see you next week.
• I think I’d better be going now.
• Well, it’s time for me to leave.
• I think it’s already late at night.
• I must be going home.

Closing/leave-talking:
• Good bye (formal/informal).
• Bye-bye; Bye; Bye now; See you. Take care.
• See you later… fine.
• See you soon… ok
• See you tonight…. all right
• Good night (after 8 pm or retiring to bed)

Expressing feelings

Expressing happiness: Formal
• Oh, I’m so happy
• I can’t say how pleased I am
• I had a splendid time there
• What a marvelous place I’ve ever seen
• It’s an outstanding adventure
• It’s an interesting experience
• It’s a sensational trip

Expressing boredom: Formal
* I think it was a boring holiday
* It sounds boring
* It’s totally/awfully boring
* I’m rather bored
* How boring!!
* I don’t think the trip was very interesting
* I’m fed up with it

Expressing disappointment: Formal
* That’s very disappointing
* I must say I’m really disappointed
* It’s a great disappointment
* That’s too bad

Expressing disappointment: Informal
* Oh, no!!
* That’s too bad
* That’s a real shame/pity
* It’s a real shame
* Bad luck!!

Expressing boredom: Informal
* It’s totally boring
* The film was awfully boring
* How boring!!
* How unexciting
* I’m fed up with all you gambling!!
* Not interesting
* Dull

Expressing happiness:
* Great!!
* Exciting!!
* Fantastic!!
* Super!!
* Terrific!!
* Smashing!! (British English)
* Hey, that’s terrific/great

Asking if someone remembers or not

Formal expressions:
* I wonder if you remember….
* You remember…. don’t you?
* You haven’t forgotten…. have you?
* Don’t you remember?
* Do you happen to remembers is now?

Ways to respond:
* Let me think, yes, I remember
* I remember especially the scenery
* I’ll never forget that
* I’ll always remember
* I can remember it clearly

Informal expression:
* Remember the old house we used to live in?
* Remember that?
* I’m sorry I don’t remember

Response if you forget:
* Sorry, I’ve completely forgotten
* I’m afraid I forget
* I really can’t remember
* I’m afraid I have no memory of him
* Err, let me think. it’s gone
* Sorry, it slipped off my mind

Ways to respond:
* Hold no. yes, got it!!
* I know…
* It’s coming back to me now

Asking for and showing attention (formal):

Asking for attention (formal):
* Excuse me, I wonder if I could trouble you…..
* May I have your attention, please?
* Excuse me…
* Sorry to trouble you
* Sorry to bother you

Asking for attention (informal):
* Look at me
* Look what I’ve got here
* Look here
* Look!!
* Hey!!
* Attention please!!
* Excuse me!!

Showing attention:
* I see
* Oh, yes
* Mm…
* Aha…
* How interesting!!
* I know what you mean
* Oh, oh!!
* Well, well, well
* Tell me more about it
* Really?
* Oh my god!! What happens next?
* And then what?
* What’s next?
* Is that all?
* Indeed
* Oh, no!!

Inviting someone

Offering on invitation:
* I’d like you to come to dinner
* I’d like to ask you to comes swimming
* Would you like to go to the theater with me on Saturday night….
* How about going to the football match with me tomorrow afternoon?

Declining an invitation:
* I’m so sorry. I’ll be very busy tomorrow night
* I’m afraid that’s not too good for me, what about after lunch?

Accepting an invitation:
* Thank you, I’d be glad to go
* Yes, thank you. I’d be happy to go
* Thank you so much for inviting me
* Let’s meet at the school canteen
* Yes, I’d love to
* Sure
* Great
* All right

Expressing sympathy

Offering condolences:
* I’m sorry
* I’m sorry to hear about your father
* I’m sorry to hear that your little Twettie died
* Let me offer my condolences
* Let me tell you how sorry I am to hear about your grandmother
* I know how you much feel
* You must feel terrible about losing your brother like that

Responding to condolences:
* Thank you
* That’s very kind of you
* There’s nothing that can be done about it
* It’s God’s will, I suppose
* God gives and God takes away
* That’s life

Offering

Offering to older people:
* Would you like a cup of coffee, Mr. Green?
* Should I get you a bottle of water?
* Could I offer you a glass of lemonade, Mrs. Lina?
* Would you care for some salad?

Offering to friends:
* Want some?
* Have some
* Chocolate?
* Glass of lemonade?
* Grab some for yourself

Less formal expressions:
* Would you like to have a pancake?
* Why don’t you have some lemonade?
* What can I get for you?
* What will you have?

Declining an offer:
* No, thank
* No, I really won’t, thank you
* Not for me thanks
* No, thanks. I’m not hungry

Accepting an offer:
* Thank you
* Yes, please
* I’d like it very much
* Thank you, I would
* That’s would be very nice

Expressing thanks

Expressing gratitude:
* Thank you
* Thanks
* Thank you very much
* Many thanks
* Thanks a lot
* I thank you
* I’m very much obliged to you
* Thank you for your kindness
* Thank for everything
* Thank for (your help)

Showing gratitude when refusing:
* Thank anyway
* No, thank you
* No, thanks

Expressing compliments

Expressing compliments:
* That’s a lovely cake
* That was a nice lunch
* You look good in that dress
* What a lovely garden
* You’re really a good cook
* You’ve done a great job
* You did it very well
* Well done
* You’re doing just fine
* You’re doing great

Responding to compliments:
* Thank you
* I’m glad you enjoy it
* Thanks. Do you really think so?
* Thank you very much. It’s nice of you to say so
* I’m glad you like it
* Thank a lot

Asking for information:
* I’d like to know. . . .
* I’m interested in. . . .
* Could you tell me . . .?
* Do you know . . .?
* Could you find out . . . ?
* Could I ask . . .?
* Do you happen to know . . .?

Guessing:
* I’d say. . .
* Could it be. . .
* Perhaps it’s. . .
* I think it’s. . .
* It looks like. . . .
* It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess. . . .

Right or wrong:
Correct:
* That’s
* right.
* Right.
* OK.
* Yes.
* Exactly!
Wrong:
* No, I’m afraid not
* Are you joking?
* Oh?
* Where? Show me.
* I can’t see that
* Goodness!
* What?

Useful phrases to express location:
* To face (is facing, faces)
* To be opposite (is opposite, are opposite)
* On, at, in.
* Under, beneath.
* Over, on the top of
* At the top of, on the site of, at the bottom of
* Inside
* Outside
* Beside, next to, near, between
* In back of, in the middle of, in front of
* (to)(on) the left (of), (to)(on) the right (of)
* Across from
* (at)(on) the corner of
* At the end of
* To be located (is located)
* To be situated (is situated)
* To lie (lies, lie)

Expression congratulations:

Expression of congratulation:
*           Congratulation!
*           Congratulation on your promotion
*           May I congratulate you on winning the contest?
*           I must congratulate you on your success
*           Please accept my warmest congratulations on your wedding day
*           I congratulate you on your being admitted in one of the favorite senior high school in our district
*           Please accept my heartiest congratulations

Responses to congratulations:
* Thank!
* Thank you
* thank you very much
]
Expressions used in an interview

Opening the interview:
* Good afternoon
* Excuse me, I didn’t quite catch your name
* Have a good time
* Thank for your. . . .
* It is a big surprise
* I congratulate you on. . .

Asking for information:
* Could I ask?
* Where was it?
* I’m calling to find out. . .
* Do you realize that. . . . .
* Actually. . .
* And?
* Well, let me see. . .
* First/then/after that/at the end

The expression used to say believe or not believe are:

Asking if you believe it or not:
* Do you believe it?
* Wouldn’t you believe it?
* Can you imagine that?
* You don’t believe it, do you?
* Don’t you think it’s odd that . . . .?

Responding to believe it or not:
* No, I don’t believe it
* Are you serious?
* Are you joking?
* Are you kidding?
* You must be joking/kidding!
* Oh, no! That not true!
* You don’t say!
* Seeing is believing.

Expressing being surprised

Telling surprising news:
* Guess what!
* Surprise!
* I’ve got news, for you
* Do you know what?
* You won’t believe it

Responding to believe or not:
* Oh, no that’s not true.
* You don’t say
* Really? That sounds interesting
* Really? It’s surprising that. . .
* Seeing is believing
* Good heavens
* My goodness!
* This is really a surprise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOAL UJIAN NASIONAL : MATA PELAJARAN SOSIOLOGI

Contoh Soal Nama Gelar Bahasa Indonesia

Materi PSPJ Kelas XI (Lanjutan Materi Bab 1)